2018-09-04 18:52:01 UTC
I want introduce big improvement (at least in my humble opinion) to Qt
My idea is very simple and very strong logical/rational/sensible and Qt
projects oriented (but not limited to Qt projects).
I don't pretend to be renter of this idea, but if you use/follow this
idea, then I suppose you mention this concept as "Szyk Cech's project
So lets sum up typical Qt project:
* plenty cpp, h, ui and qml files - typically related to each others and
names only differ with extensions (eg. MainWindow.h, MainWindow.cpp,
* few cpp and h files typically differs only with extensions (Factory.h,
Now we have big Qt project tree which is pretty unusable for bigger
projects (like Qt Creator). But we can improve this greatly!
We can use full advantage of QTreeView widget and display all 3 (or 4)
Qt files in 1 row!!!
I recognize following use cases:
1. We have Qt widget file (eg. MainWindow.h, MainWindow.cpp,
MainWindow.ui), so we display in first column only file name without
extension, and in next 3 columns h, cpp, ui . Then when we have direct
access for every files related to our ui file (h and cpp) - without
stupid clicking headers or sources (in order to unroll them) and without
2. if additionally to 1.Â we have qml file with the same name as h, cpp,
ui - display it in 4. column
3. If we have only h and cpp (or c) file: display name in first column
and h and cpp in next 2.
4. If project does not contain Qml files or not contain Ui files, then
QTreeView should not display Qml or Ui columns accordingly (only h and cpp).
5. If project is pure c project then c extension should display in Cpp
6. Any other files names are displayed traditionally in first column.
You can see my mock interface in attached png file.
I can't implement this great feature for many reasons:
1. I work and have limited free time, and:
2. I have other great ideas for my projects (which I consider more
3. I have experience in writing mods for Qt Creator, but: Most important
problem is that I can't be sure my mod will be accepted by developers.
So I can spend few weeks writing this mod and polish this idea, and end
up with rejected opinions. I do not believe using this idea only for my
self, because I can't adjust my patches for every new Qt Creator
releases (it is very tedious and frustrating work to me - so I give up
with my Qt Creator mod and use official version only).